Podcast: Play in new window
| Download (59.6MB)
Listen/download: 021—Axis Astrology Podcast: “The North & South Nodes”
In this episode, Alison and Arwynne discuss the transits, aspects and moon phases for July 13-26, 2014. Our 360 topic of the day is The North and South Nodes of the Moon, so we discuss what they mean in your chart and give some colorful examples from history, the movies and our personal observations. Arwynne reviews The Soul Purpose by David Railey and Alison reviews The Node Book by Zipporah Pottenger Dobyns.
Planetary transits for July 13-26, 2014:
- Jupiter in Leo 15-Jul-2014—Go big or go home, your chance to shine, express yourself boldly, spend $ to make money
- Venus in Cancer 18-Jul-2014—Sensitive, soft-spoken, moody, caring, possessive, protective, clingy, needy, emotional
- Mercury Trine Neptune 18-Jul-2014—Poetic/ harmonious self-expression, using your words to soothe, seduce or sell
- Sun Square Mars 18-Jul-2014—Challenges, quick turnarounds, competition, impulsive reactions and irritations
- Saturn Direct 20-Jul-2014—Whew!
- Uranus Retrograde 21-Jul-2014—Meh?
- Mercury Opposition Pluto 21-Jul-2014—secret agendas, digging for the truth, investigating deeper, “truth is out there”
- Sun in Leo 22-Jul-2014—Summer is here, express yourself, fall in love, enjoy the spotlight, be loud and proud
- Venus Trine Neptune 23-Jul-2014—romantic, imaginative, creative visualization, seeing the best in your partner/ others
- Sun Conjunction Jupiter 24-Jul-2014—confidence, generosity, branch out, aim high, grow your business/personal brand
- Mercury Square Uranus 24-Jul-2014—restless mind, trouble with devices, irritability, seeking novelty for its own sake
- Mercury Trine Saturn 24-Jul-2014—organized thinking/ planning, able to present ideas in a cautious, deliberate way
- Mars in Scorpio 25-Jul-2014—Machiavellian, Ninja-like, strategy, stealth, “soft power,” cunning, tactical skills
Last quarter 18-July-2014
New Moon 26-July-2014 at 3 Leo.
New Moon Wishing: At the New Moon find out which house the New Moon will occur in your chart. So 3 Leo this month. Then write a list of 3 things you would like to manifest this month in line with the nature of the house that the New Moon happens. Each month the New Moon will move one house up in your chart so over the course of the year you have a chance to bring forth goodies from each of your houses. At the New Moon, light a candle and read out your list to make it known to the universe. Good luck!
Alison is presenting an all day Summer Astrology Workshop in Vancouver on July 26, 2014.
Arwynne reviews The Soul Purpose by David Railey, a book that focuses on the sign placement of the North Node with stories and examples from the lives of well-known celebrities and political figures. Definitely beginner-friendly and very readable, this book is an ideal introduction to the subject matter.
Alison reviews The Node Book by Zipporah Pottenger Dobyns. this book details all the planetary nodes and not just the Lunar Nodes. It is what i would call and advanced astrology book but certainly worth the effort to read. Quite a slim volume but the best book I have read on the planetary nodes. It includes ephemeris for the planetary nodes so you can find them for your chart.
Astrology 360: The North & South Nodes
(For illustrative purposes only, and not even close to scale.)
The Nodes are two mathematical points in the sky where the orbital path of the moon intersects the apparent path of the sun (from our perspective on earth). The Nodes are always exactly opposite each other so, although some charts only show the North Node, you can always locate the South Node at the very same degree of the opposing sign. The Nodes change signs approximately every 18.5 months, so everyone born within that time will have their Nodes in the same signs. The South Node represents our past (whether that means past lives, our childhood, ancestral history, epigenetic or morphogenetic legacy is up to you). It’s what we’re comfortable with, having already learned or mastered it, but it can also become a crutch if we continue to fall back on what’s familiar, taking the relatively easy road. Conversely, the North Node is what we’re moving towards. It’s new territory that often feels frightening or unnatural to us, but it’s the path we must take in order to move forward—it’s our “north star,” if you will, representing the soul’s purpose or destiny. (And again, the soul could mean an immortal consciousness in the traditional sense, your undying DNA that carries forward the genetic legacy of a thousand generations, or the atoms that compose your current form—the very atoms that once inhabited stars, endlessly recycling and recombining yet intricately connected in quantum communion across the unfathomable aeons of space-time… or something even more incomprehensible but metaphorically meaningful to you.)
Part I: The North Node through the 12 Houses
There is a perpetual tension between the opposing houses where the North and South Nodes are found in your chart, which will depend on your time of birth. Some people follow the path of their North Node so beautifully that they light the way for the rest of us, while others… not so much. Here are some examples of people with the North Node in each of the 12 houses.
- Superstars & Supernovas: Martin Luther King, Leonardo da Vinci, Oprah Winfrey, Nelson Mandela, Joseph Stalin, James Dean, Ludwig van Beethoven, Michael Jordon, Amy Winehouse
- Self-made Moguls & Trophy Wives: Madonna, Elvis Presley, Brigitte Bardot, Napoleon, Eminem, Robert De Niro, Mohamed Ali, Walt Disney, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Sharon Tate, Katie Holmes, Portia Di Rossi
- Democratizers & Demagogues: John F. Kennedy, Che Guevara, Carlos Castañeda, René Descartes, FDR, Mao Zedong, Copernicus, Deepak Chopra, Vladimir Putin, Julian Assange
- Expatriates & Empire Builders: Steve Jobs, Marie Antoinette, Ernest Hemingway, Anna Ilona Staller (Cicciolina), Pope Benedict XVI, Ronald Reagan, Silvio Berlusconi, Rupert Murdoch
- Pied Pipers & Predators : Angelina Jolie, Mother Teresa, Bill Gates, Pablo Picasso, Yoko Ono Lennon, Sinéad O’Connor, Norman Rockwell, Woody Allen, Roman Polanski
- Humanitarians & Zealots: Abbé Pierre, John Lennon, Sigmund Freud, Noam Chomsky, Jane Addams, John Travolta, Osama bin Laden
- Power Partners & Sacred Solitude: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Hillary Clinton, Grace Kelly, Soeur Emmanuelle, Dalai Lama, Elizabeth I
- Supreme Commanders & Sacrificial Scapegoats: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Vladimir Lenin, Ayrton Senna, Joan of Arc, Princess Diana, Kurt Cobain
- Divine Inspiration & Masters of Manipulation: Maria Callas, Oscar Wilde, Michelangelo, Bob Dylan, Aleister Crowley, Adolph Hitler, Grigori Rasputin
- Corporations of One & Legends in their own Minds: Coco Chanel, Gandhi, Andy Warhol, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Céline Dion, Donald Trump, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Charles Manson, Sarah Palin
- Cinderella Stories & Social Darwinists: Lady Gaga, Joan Crawford, Cary Grant, Stephen King, Charles Darwin, Camilla Parker-Bowles, Arnold Schwarzenegger, George W. Bush
- Sex Symbols & Mad Geniuses: Marilyn Monroe, Johnny Depp, Pamela Anderson, Farrah Fawcett, Vincent van Gogh, Nikola Tesla, Frida Kahlo, Howard Hughes, Philip Seymour Hoffman
Part II: The North & South Node at the Movies: Modern Fables that Illustrate the 12 Archetypes
In all of these films, either the main character or the entire plot provides a perfect example of the North Node in a particular sign (in my opinion anyway!). They are organized in pairs to emphasize the ongoing tension as well as the interesting parallels that exist between opposing signs.
Movies for Aries North Node: The Fighter
Gladiator, Rocky, G.I. Jane, Red Sonja
Movies for Libra North Node: The Lover
The Princess Bride, All of Me, Jerry Maguire
Movies for Taurus North Node: The Dilettante
Movies for Scorpio North Node: The Detective
The Silence of the Lambs, Eyes Wide Shut, Fight Club
Movies for Gemini North Node: The Storyteller
Movies for Sagittarius North Node: The Truth-Seeker
Indiana Jones, Life of Pi, Dogma
Movies for Cancer North Node: The Caregiver
Movies for Capricorn North Node: The CEO
The Hudsucker Proxy, The Edge, The Fog of War
Movies for Leo North Node: The Performer
Movies for Aquarius North Node: The Pioneer
2001: A Space Odyssey, Contact, Avatar
Movies for Virgo North Node: The Service-Driven Life
Movies for Pisces North Node: The Death-Dream
Mulholland Dr., Donnie Darko, The Fall, Dead Man